For parents of kiddos who will be 5 by 10/01/20, the Round 1 Choice deadline (February, 2020) and Kindergarten itself is rapidly approaching (August, 2020). For some, the recent Back to School posts on social media bring confusion about what to do next. Read below for a quick overview of what you can be doing in the next few months to prepare.
TO DO IN OCTOBER
- If you have kiddos aged 2-5, consider attending a Preparing for Denver Kindergarten class (first Stapleton specific class is 10/12/19 from 2-6pm), registration at www.preparingfordenverkindergarten.com/register and we offer free childcare, too!
- Like the Preparing for Denver Kindergarten Facebook page to stay up to date: www.facebook.com/PreparingforDenverKindergarten/
- Confirm your assigned boundary school/Enrollment Zone schools at https://dps.schoolmint.net/school-finder/home.
- TIP: Your assigned boundary school is legally holding a spot for you starting in Kindergarten, until you choice in somewhere else. If you live in an Enrollment Zone (e.g. 80238), you are legally guaranteed a spot at one of the Enrollment Zone schools starting in Kindergarten, until you choice in somewhere outside of the Enrollment Zone.
- If needed, research other schools (e.g. other boundary schools with room for Choice kiddos or lottery schools: charter public, dual language, expeditionary, Montessori, IB, International)
- TIP: Before touring, research choice odds and other enrollment and demographic data at https://dps.schoolmint.net/school-finder/home > Search by School Name > Demographics > More information on this school’s enrollment (PDF) > Choice In rates by grade (Kinder is 00)
- Always tour (and consider) your boundary school/Enrollment Zone schools first, no matter what
- TIP: Call each school between 10:00am – 11:00am or 1:00pm – 2:00pm to set up a tour, each school can offer different days and times
- TIP: CDE scores can be found at http://www.cde.state.co.us/schoolview/performance, DPS SPF scores can be found at http://spf.dpsk12.org/en/elementary-schools/. Please know that scores are one of 100 things to consider, and don’t necessarily represent what is actually happening inside the school.
TO DO IN NOVEMBER
- If applicable, continue to tour schools
- TIP: Narrow your choices to your assigned boundary school plus 4, or your Enrollment Zone schools plus 1-2
- TIP: When possible, tour schools with your partner
TO DO IN DECEMBER
- Create a DPS School Mint account in anticipation of Round 1 Choice at https://dps.schoolmint.net/signin.
- If needed, continue to tour schools
- TIP: Assume private school application deadlines are 12/31 so that you don’t miss any
TO DO IN JANUARY
- DPS Round 1 Choice opens 01/15/20, more info at
- TIP: You can list up to 12 schools on your choice form
TO DO IN FEBRUARY
- DPS Round 1 Choice closes 02/18/20
- TIP: You can log in any time before 02/18/20 and modify your list, up until 02/19/20 at 4:00pm
- TIP: You will be notified of seats and wait list numbers in March, 2020
Want to know more? Sign up for a Preparing for Denver Kindergarten class or private consultation at http://www.123formbuilder.com/form-4764564/2019-2020-preparing-for-denver-kindergarten-registration.